Churches worth seeing, XVIII
Church of the Ascension : Pueblo, Colo.
(Diocese of Colorado)
THE CHURCH of the Ascension in Pueblo, Colorado, was designed by Frank E. Wetherell of the Iowa architectural firm of Wetherell & Gage. Gothic Revival in design, the church is faced with multi-toned, pressed red brick and trimmed in sandstone, and the overall composition is highly successful and strongly reminiscent of an English village church. Inside, the exterior brick is carried across the lower course of the nave walls. The upper portion of the walls is faced in plaster, and the attractive window tracery is executed in sandstone with brick surrounds. The choir and chancel are separated from the nave by a very fine rood screen, and the oak of the choir stalls, panelling, and reredos all serve to set off the dignified and austere marble altar.
The parish itself was formed in 1891 as a mission church and by 1893 had become a parish of the Diocese of Colorado. Ten years later, the congregation relocated to the old St. Peter’s Church in Pueblo with the goal of building a new church for itself. Land—on which the current church sits—was purchased at the corner of Grand and 18th streets, and construction of the new Church of the Ascension was completed by June of 1914. The church, its 1928 Tudor-style rectory, and 1941 parish house form a highly satisfying architectural complex and a beautiful and fitting home for an Episcopal parish.