Churches worth seeing, X
BUILT in 1928, the St. George’s School chapel was designed by Ralph Adams Cram and is a crowning achievement of the Gothic revival in the United States. St. George’s alumnus John Nicholas Brown, Class of 1918, donated the money for the chapel and was integral in helping to design many of its architectural elements. Beyond the grandeur of the chapel tower, visible from the far reaches of Aquidneck Island, are the chapel’s many stained-glass windows, some original and some contemporary. The east window above the altar was designed and manufactured by the stained-glass artist Lyn Hovey of Boston (details of its iconography may be found here).
It is the architectural centerpiece and spiritual heart of St. George’s School, about which the Revd John Byron Diman, the school’s founder, in his “Purposes of the School” (1896) wrote the following:
The specific objectives of St. George’s are to give its students the opportunity of developing to the fullest extent possible the particular gifts that are theirs and to encourage in them the desire to do so. Their immediate job after leaving school is to handle successfully the demands of college; later it is hoped that their lives will be ones of constructive service to the world and to God.
Ora et labora.